Rent a car in Greece – flexible on the move
If you want to see as much of the island or mainland as possible during your Greece vacation, you can book a rental car. It is best to do this in advance so that you can receive the rental car directly at the airport. So you start your vacation relaxed and can start a tour of Greece. There is even the possibility of booking a package tour and rental car directly in one. Nothing stands in the way of an exciting vacation.
All information for your Greece vacation
When we feel like a break with great beaches, crystal clear water and beautiful nature, many of us think of Greece first. The Balkan state is considered a vacation destination popular as ever and worth more than just a trip. There are so many different places here where you can spend an unforgettable vacation. The numerous Greek islands, the great cities and regions on the mainland – everyone will be happy in Greece. Spend a sun-drenched time on the countless beaches and in between you visit the historical sites and ruins that are witnesses of antiquity. Follow in the footsteps of the great thinkers and philosophers and get to know the natural beauties of Greece. The country in south-east Europe knows how to inspire with many facets. The hospitality of the Greeks is unparalleled and they can cook great too! Let yourself be drawn into the spell and fall in love with the many sides of Greece.
Everything you should know about the destination Greece can be found in this free travel guide. You will not miss anything on your vacation and you will be well informed.
Key data and information
- Location: Southeast Europe, on the eastern Mediterranean
- Continent: Europe
- consisting of the mainland, the Peloponnese peninsula and approximately 6,000 large and small islands in the Aegean and Ionian Seas
- Capital: Athens with 665,000 inhabitants
- Official languages: Modern Greek
- Population: 10.75 million (as of 2016)
- Currency: EURO
- Member of the European Union
- international airports: 15 in total, located on the mainland and islands
- Time difference: + 1 hour in Greece
- Arriving by plane: In the high season, planes depart several times a day from Austrian airports to international airports on the mainland and the islands in Greece. Depending on where you want to spend your vacation, you can, for example, head to Athens, Corfu, Crete, Mykonos or Zakynthos
- Austrian departure airports: including Vienna, Salzburg, Graz, Linz, Innsbruck, Klagenfurt
- Flight time from Austria to Greece (depending on departure and destination airport): between 2.5 and 3.5 hours
- Airlines: Eurowings, Austrian Airlines, Ryanair, SWISS, Lufthansa and many more
- Entry & Visa: Identity card is sufficient for entry if you are an Austrian citizen. You don’t need a passport
- in restaurants around 10% of the total amount
- in taverns a maximum of 1 €
- for housekeeping: small, appropriate tip
- for taxi drivers: round up to an appropriate amount
- for tour guides: between € 5 and € 10 if satisfied
- In many restaurants the tip is already included in the invoice amount
- Tap water: Not drinkable as it can be contaminated with bacteria. Basically: Be careful with the water in Greece, there is always a shortage of water
- Midday rest from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Although many restaurants are open during lunchtime, the shops, boutiques and supermarkets are usually closed. Large tourist resorts are an exception
- If you want to rent a rental car in Greece: There is right-hand traffic!
- Import regulations for luxury goods such as tobacco products and alcohol: e.g. a maximum of 800 cigarettes and 10 liters of spirits free of charge (further information at the customs office )
Climate and best travel time for Greece
Greece’s location between the Mediterranean, Aegean and Ionian Seas gives the Hellenic Republic a Mediterranean climate. This climate is characterized by hot and dry summers and mild and humid winters. The spring is short and lasts from March to May During this time the temperatures rise to 20 degrees Celsius and more and the flower kingdom shows itself from its most beautiful side. When spring passes, summer quickly arrives with hot temperatures. The summer months beckon in almost every region with temperatures of 30 degrees Celsius and more. They last until October, when the Greek winter makes itself felt with more rainy days.
Although there is a Mediterranean climate in Greece with the typical characteristics, there are regional differences. For example, the mountainous regions as well as the north of Greece are generally a bit fresher than the southern and flat areas. In the mountainous regions it can snow in winter, so the mountains are perfect for winter sports. The summer months lead to hot and dry weather in the mountains and it is time for a beach holiday in the entire country. The weather on Crete, Greece’s largest island, is already a bit hot in summer and with little rain.
Climate table for Crete
|Max. Temperature in ° C||15||16||17||20||24||27||29||28||26||23||20||17|
|Min. Temperature in ° C||9||9||10||12||15||19||22||22||19||17||13||11|
|Hours of sunshine per day||4||4||6||8||10||12||12||11||9||6||5||4|
|Water temperature in ° C||16||15||16||16||19||22nd||24||25||24||23||20||17|
|Rainy days per month||10||9||7||3||2||1||0||0||1||5||6||9|